MARYSVILLE, Calif. (AP) — A 911 dispatcher in Northern California was startled during a recent shift when the caller on the other end of the line turned out to be her fiancee reporting that their infant son was choking.
Britney Melchor tells KCRA-TV the dispatcher she was training took the call and wrote down the home address. That's when she realized it was her own son who needed medical attention.
Melchor is a dispatcher in Marysville, a small city about 40 miles north of Sacramento.
Melchor says she initially panicked. But then her training took hold, and she dispatched paramedics to her home.
Her 14-month-old son, Maverick, had swallowed a metal washer, starting the May 27 ordeal.
The boy's father, Robert Kimball, was able to dislodge the washer just as help arrived.
©2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.