LIVE OAK, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say a Northern California teenager could lose his hand after a fireworks accident over the Fourth of July holiday weekend.
Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Sgt. Kelly Kent says a 15-year-old boy from Livermore lit a "gold-shaped egg" made of cardboard that had a small fuse at a relative's backyard near Live Oak Saturday night. He found the explosive on Corcoran Beach with two other boys.
Kent says the object exploded and severely injured the teen's hand. The blast also caused shrapnel injuries to the boy's torso.
Authorities say a team of first responders treated the boy at the scene before he was flown to Stanford Hospital. Deputies later combed the beach to look for any similar explosives but did not find any.
The incident is under investigation.
©2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.