LAS VEGAS (AP) — Health officials say cooked chorizo is the likely source of a salmonella outbreak that sickened nearly 300 patrons of a popular Las Vegas tapas restaurant.
Southern Nevada Health District data released Wednesday show 294 people reported food poisoning after dining at the Firefly restaurant in late April. It's the largest outbreak in the area in at least a decade.
People reporting illness came from 27 states and two foreign countries.
Inspectors closed the eatery April 26. They say they're tracing the source of the sausage, but say the sickness likely spread through cross-contamination at the restaurant itself.
Firefly owner John Simmons said in a statement that he's hired a food safety consultant and looks forward to a fresh start at a new location down the road.
©2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.