RENO, Nev. (AP, MyNews4.com & KRNV) — More people are starting to speak out regarding the sudden dismissal of Washoe County School Superintendent Pedro Martinez. The most recent person to share an opinion was Reno Mayor Bob Cashell.
While on Nevada Newsmakers with Sam Shad, Cashell said "I was very surprised when I got the call, I had no clue -- it shocked me, I thought Pedro had done a great job, and in my dealings with him he's been very above board and straight-out ... so I was caught completely by surprise."
The Washoe County school board has postponed a discussion of Superintendent Pedro Martinez's ouster after he filed a lawsuit alleging breach of contract and asked a judge to block the panel from discussing the matter in violation of open-meeting laws.
The school district issued a statement last Tuesday announcing Martinez had been "relieved of his duties" effective immediately, then clarified a day later he had been placed on paid administrative leave.
Martinez claims he was fired after an illegal, private meeting of six of the seven board members who accused him of lying about whether he was a certified public accountant, which he maintains he is.
The Nevada Attorney General's office confirmed it is investigating but has declined further comment.
Board President Barbara Clark said she removed a discussion of Martinez status from the agenda for Tuesday's meeting and will revisit it in August.
©2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.