Report: White House didn't OK immigrant releases

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 8/13 11:30 am

WASHINGTON (AP) — An internal Homeland Security Department report says immigration officials decided on their own, strictly for budget reasons, to release more than 2,000 immigrants facing deportation in 2013.

Without consulting then-Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano or the White House, the agency ultimately freed 2,228 people. The lack of communication led the Obama administration to wrongly deny for weeks that so many people had been released. That's according to a Homeland Security inspector general's report Tuesday.

The report also says Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials didn't adequately plan for the increase in immigrant arrests at the Mexican border and didn't track available funds or spending accurately.

The Associated Press reported in March 2013 that more than 2,000 immigrants were released. The White House and Homeland Security Department for weeks disputed AP's reporting.

 

©2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Share
0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

No comments yet!
NEWSCASTS ON DEMAND
WATCH OUR LIVE NEWSCAST

What's On

All content © Copyright 2014 Intermountain West Communications Company. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.