LAS VEGAS (AP) — Fire officials say utility crews are trying to solve an apparent structural electrical problem after a series of separate laundry room fires at a townhome complex east of the Las Vegas Strip.
No injuries were reported after Clark County firefighters doused flames about 3:30 a.m. Thursday at a building on Oakbrook Lane near Twain Avenue and Swenson Street.
Deputy Fire Chief Erik Newman says investigators found a hidden electrical short-circuit had been heating wire mesh embedded in exterior stucco and metal roofing.
He says firefighters founded charred wooden framework that may have smoldered for hours before flames broke out.
Newman says it was the third similar hidden fire since Dec. 15 in the complex of two-story townhomes.
Newman says NV Energy is working on the problem.
©2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.