US couple convicted in Qatar to push to leave

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 4/29 4:53 pm

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — A lawyer for an American couple sentenced to jail in Qatar over charges they starved their 8-year-old adopted daughter to death has vowed to keep pursuing efforts to allow the family to leave the country while their case is appealed.

Attorney Randy Peretti told The Associated Press on Tuesday that members of Matthew and Grace Huang's legal team have filed an intent to appeal the verdict and three-year prison sentence.

The California couple originally faced charges of murder following the death of their daughter, Gloria. They were sentenced on May 27 but Peretti says they only learned that they had been convicted on a lesser child endangerment charge when the official judgment was released last week.

The case has raised questions about possible cultural misunderstandings in the conservative Muslim country.

©2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Share
0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

No comments yet!
NEWSCASTS ON DEMAND
WATCH OUR LIVE NEWSCAST

What's On

All content © Copyright 2014 Intermountain West Communications Company. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.