Judge tosses death sentence in Sacramento slaying

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 8/27 6:32 pm

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — A federal judge in Sacramento has overturned the death sentence of a transient convicted of fatally stabbing a man more than 30 years ago.

The Sacramento Bee reports that U.S. District Judge Lawrence Karlton on Tuesday adopted the recommendation of a magistrate judge who said Larry Junior Webster had been denied a fair trial during the penalty phase because his attorney failed to mount a strong case in favor of a lesser sentence.

Prosecutors now have 90 days to decide whether they want to retry the penalty phase.

Webster, now 65, has been on death row since 1983, when he was found guilty of lying in wait and killing 36-year-old William Burke in Sacramento to steal Burke's car.

Webster's attorney, William Owen, said he took over the case to find that no preparations had been made for the penalty phase.

©2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Share
0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

No comments yet!
NEWSCASTS ON DEMAND

What's On

All content © Copyright 2014 Intermountain West Communications Company. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.