RENO, Nev. (AP) — Washoe County School District Superintendent Pedro Martinez says there's no evidence that a 12-year-old student was bullied before he fatally shot a teacher and wounded two classmates at Sparks Middle School last month.
Martinez says there's nothing in the district's records that indicates seventh-grader Jose Reyes was bullied in elementary school or at Sparks Middle School where the shootings occurred Oct. 21.
He tells KTVN-TV that Reyes' parents have said there was no indication of bullying from what they saw, either.
The parents, Jose and Liliana Reyes, have said he had been teased about a speech problem but never showed signs he harbored any anger or resentment that could help explain the schoolyard shooting that ended with his suicide.
Their attorney, Kent Robison, told KTVN that Reyes was teased at school and even saw a counselor.
Some students have said bullying played a role in the shooting, but police said they have no evidence of that and have refused to comment about anything that might have provoked the attack.
©2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.