LAS VEGAS (AP) — Health officials are still investigating what caused an outbreak at a youth football tournament in Las Vegas last week, but organizers say it appears to be just a bad stomach bug spreading through groups of children in close quarters.
Southern Nevada Health District spokeswoman Jennifer Sizemore says her agency is treating the illness as norovirus, but is surveying tournament attendees and conducting lab testing to make a more definitive ruling in coming weeks.
Tournament spokesman Justin Gates said some 90 to 100 players, coaches and parents developed flu-like symptoms of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea during the four-day National Youth Football Championships that ended Saturday.
Clark County firefighters responded to the Rio casino Friday and 18 people were taken to the hospital, although Gates says nobody stayed there for long.
©2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.