Portland man sues Boy Scouts; seeks $5.3 million

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 7/24 9:36 am

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — A Portland man who says he was molested by his Scout leader in the 1970s seeks $5.3 million in a lawsuit filed against the Boy Scouts of America.

The lawsuit filed Wednesday says the national office allowed the Portland branch to hire Calvin Malone, even though he had previously been banned from Scouting for providing alcohol to minors.

The Oregonian reports that Malone was convicted of rape and child molestation in 1993 and is being held in a special detention facility for sex offenders in Washington state. Besides Oregon, he served as a Scout leader in Washington, Montana, California, Alabama, Germany and Switzerland.

Deron Smith, a spokesman for the Boy Scouts of America, said he could not comment on the pending litigation.


©2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Share
0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

No comments yet!
NEWSCASTS ON DEMAND

What's On

All content © Copyright 2014 Intermountain West Communications Company. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.